Trends come and go – there’s no doubt about that.
But one trend that seems to pop in and out like a nagging ex-boyfriend is crimped hair and in our case – half up half down crimps.
Yet, for 2023, we’re noticing a subtle switch-up to this famously popular hairstyle – half-up half-down crimps.
Half-up half-down crimps is a hairstyle that parts the hair in half.
The upper half will be sleek and neat (may or may not be crimped), tied back into a bun, ponytail, or other look.
The lower, loose part of the hair is crimped for a touch of boho chic that’s trendy, textured, and 100% on style.
This look is quickly gaining traction for multiple reasons.
For one, it adds some spunk to the typical half-up half-down hairstyle.
Secondly, it’s the idyllic blend of elegant and whimsical – a mix that’s hard to blend effectively.
Want to learn more about half up half down crimps? Let’s talk about it below!
29 Ideas About Half Up Half Down Crimps
Want to show off a lovely half-up half-down crimp hairstyle?
Get some inspiration from our line-up of gorgeous hairstyles!
The Origins of Crimping
When most people think of the origins of crimped hairstyles, they think of Barbra Streisand’s look in her Butterfly album of 1972.
The look – designed by stylist Geri Cusenza – was sheer perfection and quickly sparked interest that would continue to grow into the 80s and 90s.
Yet, crimped hairstyles may have dated back further than that.
Some ancient civilizations, such as Egypt, used specific hot tools to create a crimped texture.
Regardless, this hairstyle has been seen on a slew of celebrities following Mrs. Streisand.
From Beyonce to Christina Aguilera, this look is no secret to Hollywood.
However, anyone who follows hair trends knows that crimped hairstyles have been on the low end of the popularity scale for the last few years.
People have tossed their hair crimpers to the back of their bathroom cabinets, never to be seen again – until now.
The recent surge of crimped hairstyles proves that this look will come in waves – and get cuter every time it rears its head.
This time around, the half-up half-down crimps are coming in hot thanks to their versatility, ease of styling, and undeniable cuteness.
The Aesthetics of Half Up Half Down Crimps
Listen – if you know anything about hair and follow the latest styles, you know that half-up half-down hairstyles are totally “in” – and they have been for quite some time!
There is something so beautiful about this look. It adds plenty of height, volume, and body, all while framing the face and adding an understated elegance to one’s appearance.
Not only that, but these looks are impossibly versatile – and what girl doesn’t love that?
But let me tell you something – if you’re not tossing crimps into your half-up half-down style, you’re *seriously* missing out.
Adding crimps does a number of things to your aesthetic.
For one, it adds some much-needed texture contrast that your hairstyle might lack.
The crimps add some desirable depth that’s both trendy, glamorous, and fun.
Secondly, crimps add an instant boho-chic element that can be hard to achieve otherwise.
Lastly, half-up half-down crimps are a great way to combine the old and the new, ensuring you have an on-trend look that you can wear well just about anywhere.
Ideal Occasions for Half Up Half Down Crimps
One of the best things about half-up half-down crimps is you can wear them literally *anywhere.*
Have a fancy event coming up, such as a wedding or dinner party?
Go ahead and throw on that half-up half-down crimped hairstyle, honey!
Are you going to something more casual and laid back?
Don’t worry – your half-up half-down crimps can tag along for the ride and look *amazing.*
The best way to make sure your half up half down crimps can go anywhere is to style them appropriately with your makeup, accessories, and ensemble.
Tools You’ll Need
Want to create half up half down crimps at home?
Don’t start until you have these essential tools:
- Crimping iron – Obviously, the first item on the list is a crimping iron. This is what’s going to create that eye-catching texture we all know and adore.
- Hairbrush – Ladies, don’t try to crimp your hair if it hasn’t been thoroughly brushed. It will only end in a matted nightmare.
- Heat protectant – Since you’ll be using a hot tool on your hair, it’s always recommended to use a heat protectant. This will protect those lovely locks from potential damage!
- Hair clips – When crimping your hair, you’ll need to work in sections. The best way to do this is to section off your strands using hair clips.
- Hair tie – We gotta tie half of that hair up somehow, babe!
Hair Prep: The Foundation of Great Crimps
Every great half up half down crimped hairstyle starts with a great foundation – yes, we’re talking about your hair.
Here are my top tips to prepare those locks for a lovely hairstyle:
- Shampoo – Clean, oil-free hair will produce a prettier final product.
- Conditioner: Make sure your hair is well-conditioned before attempting this look. A good leave-in conditioner is the best!
- Texturizing spray – If your hair needs a little help gripping onto the crimps, you’ll want to use a top-notch texturizing spray. Not only will this ensure a better hold, but it’ll make it last longer and look *that* much better.
- Volumizing mousse – Want to add more volume? An excellent volumizing mousse can make all the difference with half up half down crimps.
- Curl cream – This is another great product for keeping those crimps looking like they’re ready for the Red Carpet, queen.
- Hairspray – For some extra hold, apply hairspray before *and* after crimping your hair. (This is a lifesaver if you have finer strands like mine!)
If you’re looking for a trendy hairstyle that you can wear literally *anywhere,* I highly recommend trying out half up half down crimps.
They look incredible on any type of hair, whether you start with slick-straight tresses or have more body.
Make sure to complete your aesthetic with complementing makeup, accessories, and clothes to suit the occasion.