In addition to the lethargy, apathy, and immunity problems in winter, it is possible to face another nuisance – increased sensitivity of the skin of the face. Due to sharp drops of temperatures, penetrating cold wind, and too dry air in heated rooms, skin becomes painfully dry, pulled, constantly peels off, and gives considerable discomfort.
In the cold blood circulation slows down, and the production of skin fat, which protects the skin from drying out and damage is reduced. This leads to the fact that the skin is dehydrated, becomes dim, and loses elasticity.
Here are a few simple tips and suggestions to help avoid any seasonal misunderstandings, or to at least minimize them.
1.Winter Skincare Tips
To not harm the skin in winter, remember several basic recommendations:
- Do not wash your face with too hot water so as not to dry the skin;
- Use the most gentle means for cleansing (soft mousses, makeup oils);
- Choose cleansing products without alcohol and sulfates, so as not to disturb the protective barrier of the skin and do not cause dryness and peeling.
2. Select the Appropriate Cream
Winter is not the ideal time to use your usual moisturizer. No matter how young your skin is, moisturizing, protection, and nutrition are beneficial.
Whatever skin type you have, listen to the universal advice: it is worth picking up a more dense and saturated cream on a fatty (oil) basis instead of water for winter skincare.
3. Tips for Choosing a Good Winter Cream
- Look for a cream with the following inscriptions: oil-based, for sensitive skin, barrier repair, and lipid-replenishing.
- Winter cream must contain ingredients that hold moisture in the skin: urea, glycerine, hyaluronic acid, silicone, sorbitol, oils. You can try Beta Hydroxy Acid: it works gently on the skin, helps to get rid of dead skin cells, and dissolves excess oil clogged in pores. Suitable for oily and acne-prone skin.
- Prefer creams containing antioxidants and the protective film-forming on the skin.
- It is necessary to care for the skin not only during the day but also at night. Serum, fabric masks, and natural oils are considered the perfect winter means for skincare.
- It is worth experimenting with products that contain jojoba oil, almonds, avocadoes, and coconut oil.
4. Say “No” to Scrubs and Peelings
In winter, the skin of the face is especially sensitive to various kinds of chemical effects and friction. The use of peels, cleansing masks, scrubs will only irritate the skin.
Therefore, in the winter period, it should be limited to the use of abrasive peels (scrubs) and masks up to once a week or even abandon them. Consider using moisturizing and nourishing masks instead.
5. Take Care of Your Lips and Skin Around the Eyes
- Do not forget to carry with you a hygienic lipstick or balsam that will contain wax or vitamin E – they contribute to the rapid healing of microcracks.
- Avoid matte lipstick, as they tend to dry the skin, giving preference to glossy. If you still decide on matte lipstick, then before it is applied, moisten the skin of the lips with a protective balsam.
- Clean the lips at night. Apply shi or coconut oil, if you do not have allergies to them. The most important thing is: do not lick your lips in the cold, even if you really want to.
- To maintain the skin around the eye, first replace your usual cream with a more nutritious oil-based. If you want to moisturize or hydrate the area around your eyes before bed, you can use nutrient masks or patches.
Protect Face Skin on a Walk
If you have a long walk or there is a strong frost, it is worth using a special cream designed for harsh weather conditions. Typically, these creams are available at pharmacies. According to the consistency, they are more like ointment.
Half an hour before going out, apply the cream on the skin so that it could absorb and begin to protect your face from environmental impacts. Do not forget to pay attention to your lips and apply protective balm or lipstick on them.
If no weather anomalies are observed or you just need to breathe a little air, then you can use the ordinary moisturizing cream for the winter period.
If you are going to ski, play sports, or go for a walk, and it is sunny, it is worth protecting the skin from the sun’s rays. For the winter season, it is worth choosing cream with an SPF of 15 or higher.
In addition, in order to avoid temptation, dryness, and redness, try to maximize most of the face with clothes or a special mask if you are engaged in sports.
With proper skincare throughout the cold months, you will not have to revive it until spring, so try to stick to our pretty simple tips.