In 2022, the average salary of an architect in the US has already exceeded $7,000 per month. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated that in 2021, architects earned more than $75,000 per year.
Judging by the statistics, being an architect in the United States is a tremendously popular job.
In the world rankings of specialized universities for architects, the first places are consistently occupied by three universities:
- Harvard University
- The University of Berkeley
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
After receiving a Bachelor’s degree, a graduate must work in the specialty for three years under the guidance of an experienced architect.
Then, a special commission will evaluate your professionalism. The exam is administered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards.
Qualification requirements are very high, so about half of graduates with a degree in architecture are not tempted by the fact that the salary of an architect in the United States is very high but choose related industries.
However, everyone manages to find a job with a stable salary or start their own business.
Salary of US Architects
Over the past 20 years, the cost of education in the United States has been steadily rising. This trend also affects such a popular profession as architect.
Even though a novice specialist can earn $35,000 a year, young specialists strive to get a prestigious specialty. At Harvard or Berkeley, the cost of a year`s course is close to $30,000–$50,000. American students often take out educational loans.
The average salary of an architect in the USA allows you to pay off your debt with a guarantee. If in the first years, you get a salary of $36-48,000 per year, the loan repayment may take over 10 years.
Rapid career growth will allow you to reach an annual income of up to $75,000 and pay off the creditor in 5 years.
The annual salary for an architect ranges from $36,000 to $135,500. The largest portion of average architect salaries in the United States currently range from $66,000 to $93,500. The highest earnings in this profession average $125,000 a year. The average wage for an architect varies greatly based on skill level, work experience, and location.
Architects in the USA work in the following areas:
- Large construction companies. Here, you can have the opportunity to work with various residential, industrial, and social facilities. Due to constant large volumes of work, earnings of an architect are growing.
- Architectural bureaus. Here, you will find a lot of creative work but little variety as Americans order mostly private cottages and low-rise construction.
- Government sector. Here, you will find the need for a large amount of documentation and bureaucracy. The salary level is lower than in the private sector.
- Landscaping. This is a promising industry that has been developing rapidly recently. It is the perfect choice for all architects who are crazy about designing parks, suburban areas, and urban spaces. In such companies, architects always get good bonuses after any successful project.