The 90s called, and they want their claw clip hairstyles back!
But that’s too bad – because 2024 has decided that claw clip hairstyles are all the rage, regardless of hair length.
And if you thought that claw clip looks were a no-no because you’re rockin’ short locks, you’ll be glad to know that there are plenty of cute claw clip hairstyles for short hair.
Why would you want to dip your toes (or should we say hair?) into the claw clip trend?
There are two fantastic reasons.
One, claw clip hairstyles are super versatile, which is awesome for gals with short locks that may feel limited.
Secondly, they’re convenient. You can put together a hairstyle that “looks” complex and stunning, but it only takes a few short seconds to pull together.
However, it’s true that short-haired babes have a more significant challenge with claw clips.
Let’s face it – claw clips adore longer strands. That doesn’t mean you’re out of luck, though.
It means you must overcome the challenges and find suitable hairstyles for your length.
Get Inspired: Best Claw Clip Hairstyles for Short Hair
Want to throw your short tresses into a trendy claw clip hairstyle?
Here is our must-see roundup of the top 40 claw clip hairstyles for short hair. (You’re going to find one you love – trust me!)
1. Half Up Claw Clip Short Hair
2. Twisted Short Hairdo with Claw Clip
3. Twisted Half Up Hair
4. Short Messy Claw Clip Hairstyle
5. Low Claw Clip Bun
6. Elegant Short Hair with Claw Clip
7. Easy Hairstyle with Claw Clip for Short Hair
8. Half Up Bun with Claw Clip
9. Elegant Twisted Claw Clip Hairstyle for Short Hair
10. Classic Bob with Claw Clip
11. Twisted Half Bun with Claw Clip
12. Careless Claw Clip Hairstyle for Short Bob
13. Relaxed Claw Clip Hairstyle with a Twist
14. Classic Claw Clip Haistyle
15. Relaxed Half Up Bob with Claw Clip
16. Braided Claw Clip Hair
17. Classic French Claw Clip Hair
18. Efortless Half Back Hairstyle
19. Palm Tree Inspired Bun with Claw Clip
20. Messy Short Curls with Claw Clip
21. Low Back Hair with Claw Clip
22. French Claw Clip Hairstyle for Short Hair
23. Easy and Stylish
24. Chic and Stylish Claw Clip Hairstyle
25. Romantic and Easy Claw Clip Short Hair
26. Classy Short Claw Clip Hairstyle
Choosing the Right Claw Clip for Short Hair
When you have short hair, you have to be extra picky when choosing the right claw clip – especially when it comes to the size.
Try to stick to smaller claw clips. Mini, small, and medium-sized claw clips should do the trick. I don’t recommend going over three inches.
Now, let’s discuss material options.
Plastic is good for short-haired babes with fine or thin hair, as they’re more lightweight.
Metal is more robust and will hold thicker strands together with ease.
You also have the option of going the fabric route.
Fabric-covered claw clips are pretty strong, too, and they can work for all hair types.
However, they have the perk of having decorations that you might not get with plastic or metal.
Basically, if you want to add a pinch of fashion to your hairstyle, go with fabric.
Tips and Tricks for Long-Lasting Hold and Definition
Because you’re working with shorter tresses, placing your claw clip correctly is essential.
The lower toward the nape of the neck, the better. If you go too high, you’ll find your hair falling out every which way, ruining your claw clip hairstyle.
The other thing to consider is comfort.
Plenty of women complain that claw clips hurt their heads or create tension in their hair.
This leaves them feeling like they should nix short hair claw clip hairstyles altogether.
For optimal comfort, ensure the claw clip isn’t too close to your scalp or squeezed too tight.
Are you struggling to keep your claw clip in place? This is a common problem for those with shorter locks.
Here are a few tricks to remedy the situation:
- Use bobby pins: One nifty trick is to use bobby pins to keep pesky loose hairs in place. With short hair, it’s extra challenging to keep all your hair up, but not when you secure them with bobby pins. It will look perfect!
- Use elastic bands: You don’t have to rely solely on the claw clip. If the hairstyle allows it, pull your short hair into a ponytail and secure it with an elastic band. Then, use the claw clip to finish the style. This will add a decent amount of security.
- Ensure it’s not too heavy: If you have short and fine or thin hair, you have to be extra careful about the weight of your claw clip. A heavy clip will fall out of your locks. That said, opt for plastic claw clips.
- Don’t go too big or too small: If you’re going with a half updo, a mini claw clip should do the trick. But mini claw clips shouldn’t be used to secure all of your hair. It simply doesn’t have the ability. So, double-check you’re using the right size for the hairstyle you’re wearing.
- Use hairspray: Hairspray won’t help your claw clip stay in place, but it can help with overall hold. If you have some flyways that keep coming loose from the claw clip, try spraying them to keep them in place.
Maintenance and Care for Short Hair in Claw Clip Styles
When some people think of claw clips, they immediately think of tension. But they don’t have to!
To avoid excessive strain while wearing a claw clip, ensure you’re not pulling too tight on your natural hair.
The claw clip should hold your hair – but it shouldn’t be obnoxiously tight. Go a little looser with your hair and your claw clip.
Are you thinking about wearing your claw clip at night?
Plenty of women do this!
It cuts down on tension that occurs during slumber, which leads to frizziness, knots, tangles, and other desirable outcomes in the morning.
To wear your claw clip at night, follow these steps:
- Apply a good leave-in conditioner or moisturizer: This is essential for keeping your hair in tip-top shape and cutting down on pesky mishaps such as frizzing.
- Twist your hair at the top of your head: The tighter you wrap your strands, the wavier your hair will be. You can place hair in a ponytail before twisting it if desired. Hello, added volume and flare!
- Secure with a claw clip toward the front of your twisted bun: The goal is to ensure you don’t end up sleeping on the claw clip, which will be undeniably uncomfortable.
I know you might have thought that claw clip hairstyles for short hair didn’t exist, but now you know the top 40 looks to wear just about anywhere.
From flirty and fun to more elegant and sophisticated, you can’t go wrong with claw clip hairstyles.
The only question is, which claw clip look will you end up sporting first?