Most people try to look after their homes and improve their appearance. That’s why they seek inexpensive fall decorating ideas or clear out their unwanted junk.
Keeping your home clean can be a challenge, but it’s definitely worth it in the end. Not only will you be able to relax in a tidy environment, but you’ll be protecting your family from harmful bacteria and allergens.
In this article, we’ll provide 6 tips for keeping your home clean and tidy.
1. Involve Professionals
If you can afford it, you may wish to consider paying for professional cleaners – either on a regular basis or to do one-off jobs.
They’ll have the time and energy to clean every nook and cranny, and will often have access to industrial-quality equipment.
This option can be especially beneficial if you have a busy lifestyle. The additional help can free up your time so that you can focus on other things, such as hobbies or spending more time with your family.
Professional cleaners can do anything from vacuuming and dusting to mopping floors and cleaning bathrooms. They’ll also empty the trash, clean the kitchen, and do any other tasks you need them to do.
If required, the internet can direct you to a rug care company or carpet cleaning service that uses certified, licensed, and insured professionals.
You can access 24/7 emergency services and benefit from free estimates, pickup, and delivery.
2. Declutter Your Home And Keep It That Way
If your home’s full of unnecessary stuff it’ll feel cramped and untidy. Here are some tips to assist you in decluttering your house:
- Start with one room and don’t move on to the next until you’re finished (or for big rooms, declutter one section at a time)
- Get rid of all items that are broken or that you no longer use
- Be ruthless with anything you haven’t used in the last two years
- Donate items that you don’t need but are still in good condition (e.g. to friends or charity), or sell them at yard sales or online
- Dispose of broken items responsibly (e.g. using a recycling center)
- Create a system for organizing the things that you want to keep
Once you’ve decluttered your home, it’s important to keep it that way. Here are some tips for doing so:
- Don’t bring new things into your home unless you absolutely need them or love them
- Put things back in their proper place after use
- Do a quick tidy-up every day before going to bed
- Have a specific place to keep everything in your home
- Get everyone in the family involved in keeping the house clean and tidy
3. Vacuum And Shampoo Your Carpets
This will not only prolong their lives but will also help to remove any dirt or dust that may be trapped in them.
Vacuum your carpets every week, or more often if you have pets or areas with high foot traffic. You can either shampoo your carpets yourself or hire a professional cleaning company (as mentioned earlier).
If you do it yourself, you’ll need a vacuum cleaner with good suction power and an attachment for shampooing carpets.
Always read the instructions before doing anything. Vacuum the entire carpet and then shampoo it with the attachment.
You’ll need to let the shampoo sit on the carpet for a few minutes so that it can work its way into the fibers. Always allow your carpets to dry completely before vacuuming them again.
4. Dust All The Surfaces In Your Home
Dust is primarily made up of human skin cells and it can accumulate on surfaces very quickly.
And, if you have pets, their hair and dander will add to the dust bunnies taking over your home. This can cause the following problems:
It’s therefore important to dust all the furniture and surfaces in your home on a regular basis. Use a damp duster or microfiber cloth to remove it and then dry the surface with a clean towel.
If you have furniture with intricate carvings, use a soft brush to dust them off.
5. Vacuum And Mop Your Floors Weekly
This is important for three reasons: First, it helps to remove dirt, dust, and other debris that can build up over time.
Second, it can stop sticky patches from developing. Third, it helps to keep your floors looking clean and new.
To vacuum your floors, you’ll need to use a cleaner with a brush attachment. Be sure to move the vacuum cleaner slowly so that the brush can reach all areas of the floor.
To mop your floors, you’ll need to use a mop and bucket filled with warm water and mild detergent. Again, be sure to move slowly so that all areas of the floor are covered.
Be wary of using too much water if you have a vinyl floor as it could unstick the edges and joins.
6. Keep Your Trash Cans Empty And Clean
This may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people let their trash cans overflow. If you don’t clean and empty them regularly, your home will start to smell and you’ll attract pests such as flies.
If you have trouble remembering to empty them, set a reminder on your phone or put it on your weekly cleaning checklist.
If you have a lot of people in your household, you may need to attend to your bins daily – otherwise, once a week should suffice. In addition to emptying your trash cans, you should:
- Wash them with soap and water regularly
- Use a disinfectant or all-purpose cleaner on them every so often
- Line them with fresh garbage bags before each use
Don’t forget to frequently clean and tidy your kitchen worktops and bathroom area as well.
While it takes a lot of work to maintain a house, it’s worth it for the benefits that you can enjoy. Thanks to these cleaning tips your home will soon become more hygienic and tidy.
It’ll look and feel more spacious, and visitors will feel more comfortable.