Summer is here and it’s the perfect season to get your kids to enjoy the great outdoors. In this day and age where technology and the internet have rampantly taken over our kids’ lives even as early as their toddler years, outdoor activities are more essential to their childhood.
But what exactly do they do outdoors and outside their go-to gadgets, TV programs and internet games?
Mommies and daddies, it’s time to get creative. We’ve scoured the heck out of Pinterest and we’ve found the best ones for you and your toddlers.
Simple household materials are all you need to make an exciting afternoon for your toddler’s outdoor activities. Some cotton balls, different colored paint and a good throwing arm are all you need to make this wall masterpiece.
Shark Bit My Cup
This would be a great way to beat the heat and get your neighbors’ kids to come out and play, too!
Tutorial: by Toddler Approved
Ice Boat Racing
This is super easy and fun to make for both you and your toddlers! Try it!
Toddler Color Hop
The famous Twister game toddler style.
Tutorial: Hey there home
Spray Chalk Splatter Painting
It’s colorful, has something to do with water and messy. Yes, the perfect concoction for your toddlers.
- Spray Chalk Splatter Painting by Cutting Tiny Bites
- DIY Chalk paint from ingredients you have at home from Hello Creative Family
Toddlers are tightly coiled balls of energy waiting to unleash their pent up energy. Why not do something as awesome as a paint splat? They’ll love it for sure!
Making these is already fun. Imagine watching birds fly to your backyard and pick from your feeders. Your kids will be squealing with joy!
- Make a recycled bird feeder, by RSPB
- 10 bird feeders kids love to make, by Frogs, Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
Paint activities are genius ideas. They’re full proof outdoor activities guaranteed to bring 100% fun to your kids. Just make sure the paint you use is water based so you don’t kick yourself in the bum when you try to wash out the paint stains from your clothes.
- Outdoor Splatter painting for kids, by Real Life at Home
- Splatter Paint and Tape Resist, by Buggy and Buddy
You’ll never go wrong with water outdoor activities so make them count. Try this one!
- Ice Boats water play, by Learning 4 Kids
- Ice Cube Boats by Apha Mom
Nothing like making your own bubble machine!
- Rainbow Bubble Snakes by Housing a Forest
- How to make a bubble snake, WikiHow
- Rainbow Bubble Snake tutorial, by Fab Art DIY
Toddler Water Wall
Made out of recyclable materials around the house! It’s cheap, easy and super fun!
- How to make a waterfall for summer fun, by Mama OT
- DIY Waterfall, by Where Imagination Grows
DIY Music Stand
Kids love to bang on stuff but we don’t enjoy it their “music” as much as we want to when that’s all you hear resonating inside the house. Set this up for your kids in the backyard. You might actually have a budding drummer.
- DIY sound wall / music station by Fun at home with kids
- DIY outdoor music wall by The Whoot
- Wonderful DIY music station for kids by Wonderful DIY
If you want less mess in the kitchen and your kids insist on playing kitchen, take them outdoors for a day of pretend cooking show!
- Rock play space and outdoor kitchen by Fun at home with kids
- Homemade outdoor kitchen area for kids by Pink and Green Mama
What a brilliant way to teach and test your kids the alphabets! Easy and fun!
- Alphabet Bug Spray Game by Toddler Approved
- Alphabet Bug Spray Game for preschoolers by Modern Preschool
The best thing about recycled chalk paint is they’re super easy to wash off. Your kids can wash down the driveway and start all over if they haven’t lost interest in drawing pictures on the ground.
Nature Play and Exploration
What better way to enjoy outdoor activities than to go on a nature exploration? After all, kids love playing with dirt. Just make sure they don’t put the bugs in places they don’t belong in.
- 60 nature play ideas for kids by The Imagination Tree
- 15 nature activities for kids by No Time for Flash Cards
- Nature activities for toddlers by Twodaloo
- 11 Fun ideas for exploring nature with kids by Parent Map
Hula Hoop Games
If you have a bunch of hula hoops at your disposal, this will be great for your hyperactive toddlers. If you don’t have hula hoops, they go very cheap in most stores so they’re worth the investment!
- Gross motor activity – hula hoops games by Learn Play Imagine
- 10 Hula Hoop games for preschoolers by Learners in Bloom
- Family Fun with Hula Hoops by ChildReach
Toddlers love colors. You can use this to your advantage. Take them for a walk in a familiar hiking trail and have them spot things around them that are of the same color as your color swatches. You’re hitting two birds with one stone – boredom and learning!
Be creative with your activity dice. I’ve tried this with my students and they had a blast! Your kids will surely have too!
Your toddlers will love this. It’s fun and challenging for them. Watch them get immersed in nature.
- Nature Hunt by Family Education
- 10 Fun Scavenger hunt ideas for your kids by source: mykidsadventures.com
Olympic Outdoor Activities
Bring out the big guns! Set up a 5-course relay race inspired by Olympic events and get ready for a fun filled day!
- Holding your own Olympic Games, by Activity Village
- Host Olympic Games for your kids, by Real Simple
- 18 Summer Olympic Activities and Games for kids, by Tip Junkie
Toddler DIY Golf
Training up the next Tiger Woods?
- DIY toddlers golf clubs and putting green by I Can Teach My Child
- How to build a mini golf course at home, by source: mykidsadventures.com
- Golf DIY by Zedomax
Not only fun for your older kids but for your toddlers and preschoolers too!
- 6 Olympic Party ideas by Parents.com
- Olympic Ring Ball toss by I Can Teach My Child
- Summer Olympic Games for Kids by Craftionary
Climbing & Crawling
Who wouldn’t want to play through these? If I was certain I wouldn’t get stuck, I would totally go for it!
This one will never let you down. And it will keep your toddler occupied for a good few hours.
- DIY backyard fishing activity, by Mom Endevaors
- DIY Toy Fishing for kids, by Make it & Love It
- Make a magnetic fishing game, by Kids Spot
- DIY magnetic fishing game for kids, by Crafts Unleashed
There you have them, folks!
25 full proof outdoor activities your toddlers and older kids would both enjoy. They’re easy to make, cheap to make and loads of fun to boot! So get your thinking caps on and get creative! Make your outdoor activities cooler than anything else this summer.
Got any ideas you’d like to share? Leave us a comment below!