Color blocking hair can be a fun and daring way to add extra interest to your look.
Maybe you want two colors in your hair, or you want to go even further and add three or four. The choice is yours and that’s why color blocking can be such a unique way to style your hair.
Whether you have long, short or medium length hair, there is a way to incorporate color blocking into your life.
Perhaps you have wanted to color block your hair for quite a while now. You have admired all the magazine articles, but you just haven’t been ready to take the plunge.
Maybe you are still not sure of the best way to achieve this look. If you are hesitating, read on as we bring you our top tips for getting perfect color blocking in your hair.
What is Color Blocking hair?
Color blocking hair is a fun and creative way to mix up your everyday look.
It involves strategically dyeing sections of your hair in different colors to create eye-catching shapes and designs. As a bonus, it’s also a great way to add a bit of personality and individuality to your style. Follow these steps to get started:
- Start by picking out the colors you want to use in your color block. It’s important to choose colors that complement or contrast each other, but overall work together harmoniously. Try not to pick too many different shades, as this can lead to an overly busy look.
- Next, decide on the size of the blocks and how much space you want between them. You may want thin strips of color or large blocks with plenty of space in between. Choose something that suits your style and preference.
- Before you move ahead ensure your hair is in good condition. A deep conditioning treatment will help revive dry and unruly strands, allowing the color blocking dye to adhere better and last longer.
- Last, decide whether you want to dye your hair at home or book an appointment at the salon. If color blocking is something you haven’t tried before, then it may be better to get professional advice. However, if you are on a budget, then check out all the DIY hair blocking videos there are online to help get you started.
50+ Color Blocking Hair Ideas
Forget the days of one block of color for your whole head; it’s time to shake things up with vivid, striking combinations that draw attention as you walk down the street.
Think bright pinks blended with sunny yellows, metallic blues mixed with icy purples, or anything else that speaks to your creative side.
Most Popular Colors for Color Blocking Hair
With their diverse range of designs, color blocking hairstyles have become a trendy way to update your look.
While any hues can be used as part of a color blocking style, the most popular ones come from the rainbow’s spectrum – purple and pink, blue, green and orange are all currently trending.
Red is often used to bring a pop of vibrancy and contrast, while pastel colors such as baby pink or yellow can be used for a softer style.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Your Hair Appointment
If you are heading to the salon to get your hair color blocked, here are some things you should bear in mind before attending your appointment.
First and foremost, it’s always best to come with an idea of what styling or look you want, whether that be a total transformation or just something subtle. If possible, bring pictures of the look that you have in mind as a reference.
Additionally, be sure to get a patch test done before any dye is added to your hair to check for allergies. This is usually done at least 48 hours before your appointment. Don’t skip this step as the consequences could be serious.
Last, don’t forget that hair appointment take time and be sure to leave yourself plenty of it. An unprepared client means more time spent in the chair which isn’t ideal for anyone. A little pre-planning goes a long way when it comes to successful hair appointments.
Care Tips for Colored Hair
If you have colored hair, you know that maintaining the vibrancy and health of your locks can be a challenge. The most important thing to remember is that colored hair requires extra TLC and specialized products.
- Start by using a sulfate free shampoo that won’t strip color from your hair, followed by a deep-conditioning treatment at least once a week.
- Use lukewarm water when rinsing; hot water can cause discoloration or damage due to the heat.
- Also, try to avoid styling with high heat tools and products containing alcohol as these may cause fading, frizz or flyaways.
- And finally, don’t forget to visit your stylist regularly for trims to keep your hair healthy. Following these tips can help you keep your colored locks looking perfect for longer.
Color blocking hair is a great way to update your look and express yourself with vibrant colors. Whether you’re going for something bold or more subtle, there are many color combinations that can give you a unique style switch-up.
Browse our style ideas and don’t forget to take them along to your color blocking appointment to show your stylist just what you are looking for.
More Hair Color Ideas
50+ Beautiful Merlot Hair Color Ideas for Any Hair Length
Milk Tea Hair Color: 5 Shade Options You Will Fall in Love With
50+ Purple and Green Hairstyles That Will Turn Heads
Wine Hair Color: 30+ Best Looks for The Color of the Season
33+ Blue and Green Hair Color Ideas You Will Love
40+ Gorgeous Cherry Hair Color Ideas for any Hair Length
Lime Green Hair: 23+ Best Looks That Will Turn Heads
20+ Pastel Blue Hair Color Ideas That Will Turn Heads
23+ Fabulous Black and Green Hair Color Ideas Trending This Year