If you’ve been following nail design trends, you know that galaxy nails are one of the hottest looks for this year. In this article, we have rounded up over forty of the most beautiful designs, from the most talented nail artists around the world, to give you the ultimate collection to choose your next nail project.
Whether you’re planning your next trip to the nail salon, or will attempt to try this style at home, we have collected plenty of ideas to give you lots of options for both.
There are so many reasons to love galaxy nail art.
First of all, galaxy nails work in every season! They look great as a party look, for the winter months, but are surprisingly popular in the summer – they are a sure way to stand out from the crowd!
Second, whether you have short nails, long nails, natural nails, or gel/acrylic nails, there are lots of designs to choose from.
Galaxy nail art can be intimidating on its own. We’ve rounded up some of our best tips as well as our very favorite galaxy nail art ideas to help you figure out the perfect fit!
Starting with a simple video tutorial, followed by some simple color tips and the roundup of the most perfect styles. At the end of the article, you will find some tips on how to pull off this look, together with ideas on how to make your manicure last longer!
Video Tutorial: Easy Holo Galaxy Nails
Check out this super cool tutorial prepared by Kelli Marissa via youtube.
Best Colors for Galaxy Nail Designs
A good place to start is having a sense of which colors you can work with:
- Dark blue
- Dark purple
All of these colors can be used in lots of different combinations to absolutely nail galaxy nail art!
44+ Galaxy Nails: The Most Beautiful Designs
Now that you have a color palette, it’s time to narrow down the other details and find your perfect galaxy nail.
Below we’ve rounded up 44+ of our very favorite galaxy nail art ideas. Take a look through to get inspired!
1. Pastel Colored French Tip Galaxy Nails
2. Nude Galaxy Nails
3. Purple and Grey Galaxy Nails
4. Milky Way Galaxy with Planets
5. Aurora Borealis Nails
6. Star Galaxy Nails
7. Dark Purple Galaxy Nails
8. Night and Stars Purple Nails
9. Purple and Green Galaxy Nails
10. Purple Gradient Galaxy Nails
11. Scattered Stars with Sun
12. Star Dust Nails
13. Silver Star Dust Nails
14. Blinged Out Coffin Nails
15. Purple and Pink Galaxy Dust Nails
16. Pretty Silver Coffin Nails
17. Purple Nails with Stars
18. Metalic Nails with Stars
19. Vibrant Neon Galaxy Nails with Stars
20. Shiny Blue Galaxy Nails with Stars
21. Minimalist Galaxy Nails with Stars
22. Ombre Galaxy Nails with Stars
23. Galaxy Dust Black Nails with Stars
24. Pretty in Blue and Gold
25. Burgundy and Gold Nails
26. Purple and Black Star Nails
27. Green and Pink Galaxy
28. Star Dust in Blue, Pink and Black Nails
29. Planet Earth Nails
30. Supernova Nails
31. Elegant Galaxy Nails
32. Neon Blue Galaxy Nails
33. Metalic Shine Galaxy Nails with Silver Stars
34. Bright Blue Galaxy Nails with White Stars
35. Pastel Purple Star & Moon Nails
36. Dark Purple Midnight Sky Nails
37. Neon Blue Ombre Sky Nails
38. Black Sky Nails
39. Nude Silver Galaxy Nails
40. Black Sky with Planets
41. Gold Stars and Moon Nails
42. Dreamy Purple Galaxy Nails
43. Neon Green and Purple Galaxy Nails
44. Purple Star Dust Nails
45. Blue and Purple Star Dust Nails
Top Tips for Choosing Galaxy Nails Designs
Below are our best tips for planning out your nail art.
Before you start painting, you need a canvas! While you can work with any nail shape or size, having a larger canvas will give you more options for designs.
Two nail shapes that have been all over social media are stiletto nails and coffin nails. Stiletto nails are long nails that are slightly rounded on the sides that come to a sharp point at the end.
Coffin nails are similar in the rounded sides, but are squared up and straight at the end.
If you prefer to keep your nails short, it’s a good idea to invest in some nail art brushes. They are much easier to work with especially if you are working on a smaller canvas.
Where to Start
If you want to try out your DIY nail art skills, start simple. Start with a black base, then once it has dried draw some simple designs with white polish. Use a nail art brush, or in a pinch you can even use a toothpick! Draw some four pointed stars and moon and you’re done!
Dark purple and dark blue over a black background instantly translate into galaxy design. Start off with a black background and take your secondary color and swipe it over part of your nail. The best part of this is it doesn’t have to be symmetrical! Give it a little wiggle when you go over and it will look like a stunning galaxy. Add a glittery top coat for your stars! This combination will give your nails an incredible cosmic effect!
Gray is also a great backdrop for galaxy nail art. Try a matte gray as a base and draw some designs in silver or gold!
Nail Design Options
If you aren’t used to bright and flashy nail art, try a galaxy french tip instead. You can pick any of the colors that work for galaxy nail art (black, purple, blue) and go in with your nail art brush and in a few little stars.
If you want to try galaxy nails that are a little less traditional, try a black and green combo instead! And in place of your stars and moon, try adding in some planets like Saturn, and maybe even a little UFO!
Another non-traditional galaxy nail art idea is an ombre nail. Start with black at the top or bottom, and work your way up to purple and then blue. If you’re doing this at home, grab a makeup sponge and swipe the colors on it first, and then press it onto your nail. Use a top coat to smooth it out.
What is a more classic interpretation of the galaxy than the milky way? Start with your trusty black base and find a creamy, off-white color to swipe across. For the stars you can, of course, stick with glitter or even a bright opaque white that’s visible against the off-white.
How to Make Your Nails Last Longer
Now that you have your gorgeous galaxy nails, make sure they last!
- If you are doing your own nails, make sure you start off with a clean base. Push your cuticles back and give your nails a good buff so there are no ridges. Clean your nails with polish remover before you start painting to make sure your nail beds have no excess oils or residue from your previous polish.
- A good base and top coat are key factors in making sure your nail art lasts. A good base coat will protect your nails from being stained or discolored, which can happen with dark colors. It also acts as an adhesive for the color. A good top coat will protect the polish and make it last!
- Whether you get your nails done professionally or you do them yourself, it’s important to do what you can to protect them. Some things are unavoidable, like washing your hands. Wearing rubber gloves while you do dishes is a great way to keep your nail art looking fresh!
- Our last piece of advice is to have some fun with it! Try out a few different designs and see what you like best. Experiment with different colors, finishes, and designs, and you’re sure to find the perfect galaxy nail design.