We can all agree that more often than not, you lose track of time and don’t have enough time to wash your hair. There is always something else that comes up or you just don’t have the power after a long day to do it.
In situations like this, there is nothing else to do except to try any of these super easy hairstyles for greasy hair and look just as gorgeous and stylish!
We have compiled a selection of the best hairstyles you can do with greasy hair, along with some tips on how to avoid getting your hair greasy in the first place.
Check out the tips and our hairstyle roundup below!
How to Deal With Greasy Hair
Your scalp produces a certain amount of ‘sebum’ to keep the skin moisturized and protect the hair.
Of course, excessive sebum can cause not only discomfort, like lack of volume and unsightly hair but also an irritated scalp and dandruff problems.
In order to have healthier hair, full of shine and glow you need to find the cause of excessive oiliness, and keep it under control.
Sometimes random habits from our daily routine might be one of the reasons for getting greasy hair.
- Wear tight hairstyles too often– tight hairstyles and ponytails may seem like a perfect way to hide your greasy hair, but this hairstyle causes your sebum to accumulate under your hair and its roots. Elegant hairstyles require a lot of styling products that smooth the hair, but harm your scalp. Be gentle to your hair and reduce the usage of styling products and hairstyles that require a lot of combing and touching the hair.
- Rinse your hair with hot water– Hot water washes away sebum and dries out your scalp, causing dandruff and excessive oil production. It would be better to rinse your hair with warm water after shampoo, and after conditioner rinse your hair with cooler water to close the pores of the scalp.
- Use the wrong hair care products– Make sure you use hair products suitable for your hair type. Read carefully hair product ingredients. There are products with additional silicones and oils that will make your hair look shiner but will damage your scalp. Try to use natural remedies such as applying coconut oil to nourish the hair, but at the same time reduce its oiliness.
- Busy lifestyle and stress – stress encourages your body to produce more cortisol. This hormone triggers your skin to produce more sebum and as a result, your hair looks and feels greasier. Stress is also one of the reasons to have dandruff. Slow down your daily routine and get some days off. Try to change your lifestyle and use special anti-dandruff hair products.
- Wash your hair too often – if you wash your hair too often, you can cause a PH disbalance of your scalp. This is one of the reasons to produce more oil, especially if you use the wrong hair care products. Try to wash your hair less frequently and make sure you are using the right hair care products.
- Hormonal Imbalance or another health issue- some health problems, such as hormonal disbalance and seborrheic dermatitis, can cause excess sebum production. This is a reasonable sign to make a general health check.
33+ Super Easy Hairstyles for Greasy Hair
All moms will agree that finding an hour to wash and style hair sometimes is a mission impossible.
This encourages us to find easy hairstyles that will save your day and help you look neat and polished in different situations from running to the grocery store to unexpected official events and meetings.
Do not forget they will save your day, not the whole week!
- Hair bun– the best and easiest hairstyle for greasy hair. It is perfect for longer hair, but even shorter ones could get a low ballerina bun for example thanks to a few more bobby pins and bun sponge.
- Braids– they are always a good choice for hairstyles for greasy hair. Braids cover the roots well and there are so many braided hairstyles to try.
- Silk scarf or bandana– silk scarves, and hair bandanas are gorgeous accessory and can make your hairstyle unique and fashionable so no one will notice your hair is greasy.
- Hat– fedora hat or baseball hat can make your hairstyle supper effective and cool.
Find more hairstyle tips and ideas on our dedicated Pinterest board.
1. Ballerina Bun
Elegant and feminine hairstyle suitable for all ages. You can have a high bun or a low sophisticated bun.
2. High Ponytail
Give some more volume to your ponytail and get an easy hairstyle for greasy hair.
3. Wrapped Low Bun
A low-wrapped bun is an elegant substitute for the boring low ponytail. You can use part of your hair to wrap around and make it more “office-style”.
4. Playful Side Braid
Bring more boho vibes to your look with playful side braids.
5. Bobby Pins
Sleek-back hairstyles are ideal hairstyles for greasy hair. Make them more stylish with a few bobby pins.
6. Braided Back Top Knot
Give more volume to your greasy hair with this braided back top knot hairstyle. A bit of hairspray and brushing the strands in opposite direction will give your hairstyle more volume.
7. Half-Up Sleek Effect
A model look with a lot of class, and an easy way to disguise greasy roots. If needed, you can dust some dry shampoo on top of your scalp.
8. Hairband Hairstyle
Push your hair back into a simple hairband hairstyle and secure it with a bit of hairspray. It will give your hair more texture while making it look more put-together.
9. Wet-Look Chignon
A hairstyle from a fashion magazine you definitely must try if you’re in a hurry and don’t have time to wash your hair. Catch any flyaways with a bit of hairspray or gel.
10. Decorated Bun
Add an accent hair accessory to your messy bun. This style works also great for curls.
11. Wide Bandana
A wide bandana will cover the roots of your hair and nobody will notice your dirty hair that’s due for a wash.
12. High Bun
A high slicked-back bun for an unexpected party invitation will make you look like a fashion influencer. Finish it off with a fancy twist secured with a pretty hair clip for an even more sophisticated look.
13. Claw Clip Bun
Super easy to style any type of hair, even a greasy one.
14. Double Chignon with Accessories
A playful way to add some sparkle to your low double knots. Especially useful for unwashed hair that just won’t stay in place, the extra clips will come in handy.
15. Bubble Ponytail
High pony in bubble style will allow you to add texture and volume to the hairstyle without blow drying or using a ton of texturizing spray.
16. Loose Topknot
Some more volume in the roots with this loose topknot.
17. Braided Ponytail
One of the classics that never disappoint. Works for freshly washed hair but also for oily hair that needs a bit of help staying in place. If you want to upgrade the game and your hair can take it, try a dutch braid too.
18. Half Topknot
Simple hairstyles you can do in a hurry, in under 5 minutes. If you’re concerned about a greasy hairline, you can use a bit of dry shampoo to cover it up.
19. Fish Tail
Ideal for a beach hairstyle and for situations when you haven’t washed your hair.
20. Box Braids
So fashionable and street style look which looks great even on unwashed hair.
21. Loose French Braid
Add romantic notes to your look with a loose french braid.
22. Braided Scarf
Silk scarfs braided on a hairstyle give extra volume and elegance.
23. High Bun With Pins
An impressive way to add an accent to your high bun hairstyle.
24. Zig Zag Parted
Play with the shapes and try this effective zig zag hairstyle.
25. Low Ponytail
Make a boring low pony impressive and fashionable hairstyle using contrast elastic bands along your ponytail length.
26. Tiny Braids
A smart way to add some volume to greasy hair thanks to tiny braids.
27. Twisted Low Ponytail
Hairstyles from an haute couture catwalk you can try at home.
28. Sleek Back With Accessory
It is not that secret sleek back hairstyles are ideal for greasy hair. Make them more stylish with different types of hair accessories.
29. Black Bandana
A velvet black bandana is always a good solution to style up a more elegant hairstyle, even if your hair is greasy.
30. Scarf Hairstyle
A super easy and artistic way to style hairstyles for greasy hair is by wearing a scarf.
31. Fedora Hat
Run out of options? Fedora hat to the rescue!
32. Baseball Hat
When you are looking for a chic “girl next door” look, a baseball hat will help not only to get the look, but will also help to cover your not-washed hair.
33. Messy Bun
Give a messy look to your high bun and add a silky accessory for an accent.
33. Half-Braided with Scrunchies
Dutch half-braided hair for more volume in the roots and colorful scrunchies for an accent.
34. Sleek Low Updo
Sophisticated look for the office days.
35. Sleek Back Hairstyle
Wet effect and lots of style ideal for summer days.
36. Half-Up Hairstyle
Ariana Grande and Hally Bibber’s favorite hairstyle.