These fall rock painting ideas are super fun and your kids and family definitely will enjoy them!
Fall is the most colorful season and gives so many color palettes, inspiration and ideas, especially when you want to craft DIY projects.
This is the best time to have family getaways and hikes to the nearest parks where you can collect enough rocks to paint them.
Before you start rock painting make sure you wash them carefully and remove any dirt or sand. Let them dry and then start painting them with acrylic, water-based paint, permanent markers, or crayons.
If you are looking for a more shiny effect on your fall rocks, you can spray them with primers or coats. In this way, your rocks will get brighter colors, even if their original color is darker.
In case you are about to paint rocks for the first time, simply follow these easy tips:
- Pick Smooth Surfaces- collecting rocks from the parks and beaches is a cool way to entertain your kids. Of course, you can find ready-to-use rocks from garden centers, and hardware stores. These rocks are with smooth surfaces, and all you need to do is to wash and clean the dust before you start painting.
- Wash the Rocks- no matter if you are getting rocks from the park, or from the garden centers, you need to remove the dust and wash them carefully in order to have beautiful paintings.
- Seal Before Painting- this will help especially if you are going to use markers and will make the colors more vibrant in general. For an ultimate result and super bright colors, you can pick all-white rocks, or simply paint your rocks with white paint before you start with your designs.
- Use Multisurface Paint and Paint Pens- for your fall rock painting ideas you do not need so many tools. Just a few paintbrushes, markers, paintings, and a water jar are enough for you to start crafting and decorating beautiful rocks.
- Use Different Sizes of Brushes- it is a good idea to have different sizes of paintbrushes depending on the details you want to add to your fall rocks. Of course, the smallest ones are ideal for dots and painting small elements.
- Seal After You Are Done- when you are done with paintings, the best you can do is to seal them with a coat or clear spray. This is how you will protect your designs and keep the colors brighter for longer.
Most Popular Fall Rock Painting Ideas and Themes
Below you can find some cool fall rock painting ideas you can try with your kids. They include:
- Fall tree with falling leaves
- Fall leaves
- Halloween rocks
- Candi corn
- Forest animals
- Lady Bug
Fall Rock Painting: Video Tutorial
Check out the step-by-step tutorial on fall leaves rock painting with acrylic from Rock Painting 101
30+ Fall Rock Painting Ideas
More Fall Craft Inspiration and Ideas
33+ Creative Fall Photoshoot Ideas for Kids & Adults
40+ Beautiful Inexpensive Fall Decorating Ideas to Update Your Home
33+ Fall Decor Ideas for Cozy Living Room
Fabulous Fall Decorating Ideas For Your Home You Will Love
30+ Creative Halloween Painting Ideas for Kids of All Ages
15+ Creative DIY Candle Holders Ideas
20 Awesome Kids Projects for Rainy Days
50+ Best Creative Crafts to Keep your Kids Busy